Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pc not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlynch1

Technical User
Dec 20, 2001
IE

I was inserting a network card on my pc and was rebooting a few times.

The last time the computer booted, the bios gave an error that the time and date were not set.

I had noticed previously that the time in the bios was slow by 10 minutes.

The next boot, nothing shows up on screen. Computer doesnt boot.

Any ideas as to what the problem is

Try undoing your last actions check you didnt knock or unseat the cmos battery or any cables. P.S hope you kept youself earthed.

still the same result...wont boot

Hi there,

1.) is this a homebuild system? if so you may have forgoten a brass standoff that now, as the NIC card was inserted, shorted the system out... check that...

2.) check all cableing, especially power and IDE for correct seating, the same goes for your HS-FAN...

3.) Clear CMOS or better yet replace CMOS battery... sounds like it's depleted...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

The cmos battery is just under the Nic I inerted. See picture. It is possible that it could have moved when i was putting in the NIC and taking it out.

I tried clearing the cmos by powering off and moving the jumpers on the board.

How do i check to see if the system shorted out ?

Pc is a compaq deskpro ep series (not homebuilt)
p3 500

The fact that its a older pc, and that the time is slow, or not staying accurate, points to a dead or dying CMOS battery. Seeing as its a OEM box they may have replacment batteries still in stock for that board. Do you get your POST (single beep)? I would say replace the CMOS battery.

Hi there,

yes most likely you knocked the CMOS Battery out or shorted it out... try replacing it with another one, cost around $2 to $5 (€1.50 to €3.5), number on it should be 2032 3v you can get this at any PC Store, or Watchmaker, or (at least in Germany) Gas Station...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

I just replaced the cmos battery with a lithium CR 2032 sv.
Pc still wont boot.

There is a single short beep just as i turn the power on the pc. The keyboard doesnt seem to be getting any power.

Does num lock illuminate on keyboard does the led in the centre of your mobo light up?
In your picture the card above the sound card isnt correctly seated and you really should screw them down to ensure good earthing.
Are the fans coming on and can you hear any noise from the hard drive?

Thomas

why don't you try taking all the non-vital cards out of your system and seeing if the system boots. If it doesn't, then you shorted something out.. try also changing your mobo to see if that's the problem...

Rotaman " try also changing your mobo to see if that's the problem..." its a 14 year old compaq did you mean
"Build a new system.. you might be able to use that new cmos battery" LOL

Thomas

no, but if the guy wants to keep this old system for a reason, i am sure he can find a cheap old mobo that'll do the trick.. it's a cheap solution for a cheap system, so why not give it a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back