Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Needed to access 2 distinct networks. What IP Configuration is need by the PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnknownEntity

Technical User
Jun 15, 2006
GB
Hi all,

I will be setting up 2 distinct networks, call them 'A' and 'B'.

'A' will be a network with IP range 10.25.0.x and 'B' will be a network with IP range 10.25.1.x. Servers on both networks will have Citrix XenServer (Citrix visor) installed with windows server 2008 R2 running on each.

I need to setup a system (call it Alphabox) whereby it will be seen by BOTH networks 'A' and 'B', and install XenCenter, a program that controls the Citrix visors on BOTH networks.

Basically, does Alphabox need to sit on a 3rd distinct network to be seen by networks A and B? Or is it possible to have Alphabox sitting on one of the networks, A or B and change the gateway or subnet mask address? What is the IP configuration needed by Alphabox to be seen by both networks 'A' and 'B'?

Thank you,

Drakul.

What your looking for is to subnet the 10.25.x.x network. I do believe that your going to want to set up your Alphabox with an IP address of somewhere between 10.25.0.1 - 10.25.1.254 and a subnet mask (this is the important part) of 255.255.254.0 (this is assuming that Alphabox will sit in the same physical area as the other two networks, IE, not going through any routers). By setting it up with the above subnet, your telling the computer that any IP address between 10.25.0.1 and 10.25.1.254 is on it's local subnet so it can ARP for the MAC and anything that's not between 10.25.0.1 and 10.25.1.254 it should send to it's default gateway.
You can find and play with more subnetting stuff here:

I just noticed that I only answered 1/2 of your question. Do I understand this correctly?
AlphaBox - on the same network as 10.25.x.x
10.25.0.x - on the same network as alphabox but not 10.25.1.x
10.25.1.x - on the same network as alpahbox but not 10.25.0.x

Or should 10.25.0.x and 10.25.1.x be on the same network as each other?

If 0.x and 1.x need to be separate from each other, yet on the same network as alphabox it sounds like you may need to do something like a router on a stick. You'd still configure alphabox as described above, but you'd have to set up the router on a stick to get the 0.x and 1.x networks to talk to the alphabox.

One other thing, if 0.x and 1.x can be on the same network, you'd just configure everything with the 255.255.254.0 subnet but by doing so everything that's between 10.25.0.1 - 10.25.1.254 are all on the same network.

Install 2 NICs in the Alphabox configure one for 10.25.0.0/24 with the default gateway set patched into network A. Configure the other nic on the 10.25.1.0/24 network with no default gateway patched into network B. Then use the route add command to add a route for the 10.25.1.0 network.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back