Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC & MAC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephmaya

Technical User
Nov 18, 2003
CA
Hi there,

I'm not sure if I should be putting this question under a different topic.

I have a brochure that was created on a MAC in Quark. I now have to manipulate it on a PC. I do have that software on the PC that can read Mac files (I forget what the software is called), however, all the fonts are different.

My questions are:

Is it just the fonts I need to worry about when revising the brochure?

Is there another software program out that that can completely read between platforms? I'm assuming not, since MAC fonts are different from PC fonts?

I need to buy a new computer, my work uses PC, but I know teh design industry frowns upon them. Should I buy a MAC instead? I haev used both but am worried about when I work from home and from work and am using both platforms.

Any advice?!
Thanks!
Steph

The only problems you should have between Mac and PC Quark documents are the fonts.
Even so, it is possible to use Opentype fonts cross platform.
You may also find that the equivalent font will work just as well on the other platform.

That said, it is worth noting the following.
When opening Quark documents, it's possible to go cross platform OR up a version. You cannot do both in one step. So if you had, for instance, a Quark 5 PC file you would not be able to open in on Quark 6 for Mac. It would have to opened in Quark 6 for PC (or Quark 5 Mac) first.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Buy Languedoc wines in the UK

Hi Foamcow:
At one time I worked in a shop that used both PCs and Macs, the thing i noticed was that the Mac font might be named "helvetica" and the PC would have "Helvetica, and since the font name is 100% case sensitive on both platforms it would say missing font.
But usually when I opened a document from the other platform it would say missing font, and I could choose to replace "helvetica" with "Helvetica" and everything usually worked ok.
Also with mac OS 10.3.9 you can use PC fonts without having to convert them.
Hope this helps.
IMacQuarker

sorry Foamcow, I meant to say stephmaya
smiley.gif

I have a mac and a pc and different versions of quark on each one. When I create a file on one, and open it on the other one, and it asks me to replace the font, I make sure I get the relevant format installed, then check text reflow just to make sure. There can be small differences in fonts of the same name from different typehouses. One approach is to use fontographer or something to change it to a pc or mac font whichever is relevant, or convince your client to buy the font legally then you can install it and use it for that job with no issues or worries. They're not always that expensive, and you can often download them there and then (with the aid of a credit card).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back