Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC-Mac Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

filequit

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2003
US
I have created a tardy database for all of the students in our school on a Mac with FileMaker Pro 5.5 . When I try to open it on a PC with Multi-Share enabled with the host machine running the file, it says it can not read the file from the disk that it is on. What can i do? I have already tried adding the .fp5 extension to it but it did not help. It is important for it to be cross-platform. Thanks!

if u save it as "File_Name.fp5" (on save acautally type in the extention...regragles what the system says u will be ok....
on PC the Save window will look like:
-----------------------------------

FileName:myDB.fp5
Save as Type:(*.fp5,*.fp3,*.fm)

-----------------------------------

it should work...

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Have you actually copied the db to a PC server or are you using a Mac server? (If the latter tell me more!!)
What sort of network are you using? I probably cannot help but we are having a similar problem; nothing to do with cross-platform. The file is multi-user but just will not be shared. Dozens of others are fine.

Cheers,
Paul J.

just to be sure: did you check the attributes of the file on the windows machine? Sometimes this will be set to readonly...

Check how you are sharing the files too. On a Mac they may be set to shared throught AppleTalk which is no good for the PC. You will have to share the files using TCP/IP. Additionally, if you are hosting the files on one machine, they have to be open and ready on that machine and you don't actually "open" them o the client but access them through the Host button on the Open File dialogue box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back