Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Keeps Shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbasimon

Programmer
Mar 31, 2004
CA
My PC keeps shutting down somewhat consistently whenever something sudden happens. For example, if I connect a USB pen drive, it will just shutdown, as if it couldn't supply enough power. Or if I get an MSN message at the wrong time (like when I'm gaming). I just changed the power supply from 300W to 400W, and the problem still happens. And the only way I can start it up again is to turn off the power supply in the back, or unplug the machine. Simply powering off or pressing restart causes the machine to freeze during the boot up process (it always freezes on the windows logo screen, during the 4th time the progress bar sweeps across).

Has ANYONE encountered anything similar to this before? Thanks...

have you tried removing your memory sticks and then replacing them the other way round carefully but firmly?

This sounds dumb but I had a problem with the seating of a memory stick a while back and this worked for me.

What peripherals do you have in your PC?
Does your monitor get the power from the PC's PSU?

It may be that Scandisk is NOT running on a Bad Shutdown......Boot to the Win98 Startup by pressing and holding the CTRL key and choose Command Prompt only - Type Scandisk /all - allow it to complete and reboot fully and run it again....Start >> Run Scandskw
If not 98 Say so....run chkdsk /f /r
If it does run automatically on a bad shutdown -- say so

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

mbasimon

I had something VERY similar recently, even down to the bit where I plugged my USB stick in, and the MSN messages. In the end it turned out I had :-

W32.sasser.E.worm
W32.korgo.f
Bloodhound Packed
W32.randex.gen

Once these virus' were eliminated, The problem STOPPED.

Try doing a full system virus scan. It's got to be worth a shot
kwunder

Sawfish: I don't think I understand what you mean when you say replace them the other way around. They are USB, they only fit one way?

Temporello: I've unplugged most of the non-necessary peripherals (ie speakers, mic, etc). The monitor goes to the regular monitor port. I have a keyboard and mouse and LAN connection. That's about it.

TekTippy4U: My OS is XP, I don't know why I didn't mention that in my original post, my bad. Does what you say still apply?

kwunder: Interesting. I have run Ad-aware recently and it *did* remove a whole bunch of junk, but it should be clean now. What software did you use for virus scan?

Thanks all!!!

Norton Antivirus. It picked the virus' up but said that the infection couldn't be repaired, so I deleted the infected files. The PC has run ever since without a hitch.

kwunder

mbasimon;
YES!! DO A VIRUS SCAN.....FIRST thing!
See this FAQ
particularly this FAQ760-3862

and get a Anti -Virus Program (some are free)

Do the Virus scanning and cleaning FiRST!
Remember to Disable System Restore when removing infected files, or you'll get re-infected

And YES, except XP uses CHKDSK...
Start >> Run CHKDSK /F /R
<Enter>
It'll take awhile, but should run on it's own anyway after a bad shutdown....like Scandisk

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

I meant if you have two sticks then swap their places over. DONT invert one stick.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

mbasimon;
I second the motion for Grisoft

sawfish;
mbasimon thinks you mean the USB sticks (portable memory sticks)

TT4U

Notification:

I mean the two sticks of memory inside your computer.
Get someone who knows about computers to show you how to do this, although its very simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back