Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC keeps Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBurch

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
AU
I have recently had an intermittent problem where my PC starting rebooting itself. This could be at any stage of startup, or when the system was fully up and running. At times the PC was unusable because it kept rebooting, other times it was okay. Overall it drove me absolutely crazy.

I followed every tip I could find in this group, and across the entire site. Eventually I find found a post in an off-subject news group which advised that there was a problem with some Via chip sets in combination with PC133 Ram, and a pointer to for a patch.

I applied the patch 5 days ago, and haven't had an unintended reboot since. As a bonus, some other niggly little problems also disappeared.

Strangely enough, the exact same problem bumped me into replacing the whole PC!! I could never quite nail it down... Even stranger this is the only other reference to it I have seen!

The problems appeared in Windows 98, and then went away for a few months, when they appeared again I was using Win2k.

I think I triggered it when I added another 256M of SDRAM.. but when I restored the previous config the probbo continued... strange but true, has this happened elsewhere?

Check ya Memory, swap current mem with some memory that is known to be good. Other then that it could be p'supply and the fella above has said the rest, apart from this one time it ended up being the mobo that was the problem...

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

another issue I have run across is that system boards in some Netvista's are bad (the test they gave is a visual, look at the capacitors and if they appear to be swollen more than likely this was the problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back