Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc has to reboot for net to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisosullivan1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2004
CA
On my XP PRO machines, I have to reboot the PC in order for IE to work. This happens 75% of the time. I have 96 XP machines.
what could this be?

. if the machine has gone into Standby or Hibernation, this is a NIC driver issue and there may not be a resolution.

. Otherwise:

. Post the error message received when it is not working
. Post the results of an IPCONFIG /All session here

I found out that I had to give administrative rights locally to the users in order for the net to work properly.

The only time I have every seen this to be "true" was the special case of poorly written wireless network adapters that required a service entry, which is something a limited user by default cannot make.

Update the NIC drivers, as there should not be a necessity for Admin rights for local users to gain network access with a properly written driver for XP.

As a workaround, (if yours is a wireless/service case) launch the wireless client through Scheduled Tasks, the schedule being 'at Startup' or through Group Policy scripting for the Startup script. In this instance the service entry would be made under the permissions of SYSTEM and would succeed. The user could remain a limited user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back