Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC GOES TO STANBY MODE WHEN BOOTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcrun

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
I have a Gateway and when booting, the pc goes to standby mode and the power button is yellow.
The CD-Rom works and you can hear the fan going but the monitor does not get activated.
I replaced the battery. I disabled the standby mode in the power settings and i checked all connections.
Once in a while, the pc boots correctly and the power button is green.
Sometimes it takes days for the pc to boot.

Try setting the BIOS to factory defaults, and if there is an ECD defaults toggle setting, be certain to set that to reset ECD.

I reset the BIOS to default settings and the pc still boots to standby mode. I can hear everything going but no boot and the power button remains yellow instead of green.

This can be awfully hard to trace. It sounds like a bad power supply, but it also sounds like a bad or leaking capacitor on the motherboard.

I would take it to the local repair shop.
I do not think there is a setting that you can make to cure its ills.

This morning, I gor this error message while booting:
"CMOS Checksum Bad"

Press F1 to enter Set-up, press F9 to reset default values.
I pressed F9 and it culd not find the hard drive and the CD-Rom

Recheck your battery. It could be backward, or the wrong type, or not aligned properly or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back