Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC gets tilted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMG

MIS
Jun 12, 2000
MX
I've set up a small LAN at home, with CAT 5 cable, Kingston KNE110 NICs and a small Kingston SOHO hub, the problem is both PCs are about 150 feet apart, the Hub is located about 25 to 30 feet away from the first PC and 100-115 feet from the second; I can see both PCs in the Neighborhood, but when I try to access the remote PC, my local one freezes up.<br>Sometimes I can access and browse around but when i try copying files it freezes up again. I'm wondering if it's the small hub that doesn't support long distances. What else could it be? Would appreciate some pointers.<br>Thanks.

115 feet is certainly within the range of cat 5. I would not suspect that the hub is the problem. Did you test the runs with a quality tester? Are the runs running near any interfering devices? Did you you terminate the pairs properly? (especially on the long run). <br>One way to certainly eliminate any problem with the wiring would be to create or buy a short patch cord, temporarilly relocate the distant machine, and thoroughly test the communications.<br><br>Good Luck <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks Al, that's what I thought of too. I failed to mention that the long cable runs alongside a coax cable used for the DirecTv system... I don't know if that's the cause for the problem.

I wouldn't think that that should be a problem, however you might take my earlier advice to check close quarter comm. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Is the Hub an auto-switching model (10/100)??&nbsp;&nbsp;If not, and it is a 100 only hub...cabling problems my be keeping you from connecting...100 is very finicky...<br><br>The Kingston KNE110's are auto-switching, so you should be OK with those... <p>Tom Whitehead<br><a href=mailto:twhitehead@commeq.com>twhitehead@commeq.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I've had problems with the kingstion KNE110 NICs I changed the NIC's with SMC the problem went away. but before you go changing NIC's are you running the same services on Both PC's ? if you just have the 2 PC's NETBIOS is a fast non- routeable Protocal and should work, Second if your running NT are your rights set up. if you said yes then the NIC's mabe the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back