Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC game acts like it's going to start, then doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaq

Technical User
Nov 9, 2005
US

I recently purchased Atari's "The Temple of Elemental Evil" a D&D PC game. I install it, then I click on the icon to start it up, it blinks to a black screen for a second as if it's going to start the game, then it goes back to the desktop.

I've tried several things to get it to go. I even went back and exchanged the cd out for another one at the computer store. This happens in 2 different computers, but not the third one. All systems run on Windows XP. I want to say this is a video card issue, but it seems odd that the nice cards in my 2 machines somehow prevent this game from running. Any thoughts?

* I posted this question on the software forum as well as it could be a software or a hardware related issue.

** On the PC that the game does start on, it doesn't let you move anywhere.

What graphics cards are you running in the two machines?

Could be a driver problem possibly.

Solaq,
Maybe check the game site for any known bugs,fixes,work arounds or patches.

this is a software issue, not a hardware issue. Even if it is hardware that is having problems, it would be hardware not supported by the software you are attempting to use. Try mainegeek's suggestion.

solaq what is your system specifications? Processor, ram, hard drive space, etc..

What are the game requirements?

It could also be caused by the copy protection on the CD. Some copy protection schemes don't play nicely with certain CD-ROMs.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

I have had the same problem recently after buyin quake 4 and installing it. The game would intialize when clicking on the shortcut and then disappear after bout 3 seconds. After various attempts at fixing the problem i updated my firmware for my optical drive and that solved the problem, try updating your cd-rom firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back