Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC fan running overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
A mate of mine likes playing a 16-bit game called Rogue. If he stops playing it for a period of time, CPU usage hits 99% because of the polling. What really surprised me was that the fan was going as well.

Sometimes he stops his game for dinner and doesn't continue until the next evening and the CPU fan has been on continuously the whole period.

Does anyone know the life expectancy of the CPUs and CPU fans when they are being clobberd like that with such a heavy workload.

An old 16bit game like that should hardly tax a modern up to date system, CPU cycles shouldn't be that high.

Can you give us some idea of specification and is he using a built in graphics chipset?
If this is onboard then a seperate graphics card will certainly help take the strain

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

If it is emulating 16bit it will sure take a lot of processor time, or running the game in a "compatible" mode.

My suggestion is to close the game if taking a rest (this applies to all games, not just this one)

It is a bog standard Compaq. Probably about 2.8GHz. It is absolutely incredible. Compiling and linking a whole program suite doesn't even come close. I'll try the compatibility modes the next time I'm up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back