Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC fails to boot from USB drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Hi all,

I am about to create a dual boot, with Ubuntu and Win10.
I already had it done, but turned out I need more space in my SSD, hence I will install Win10 in my HD. I already formatted the NTFS partition where Win10 was, into an Ext4 partition actually.
I already went into the PC settings (like BIOS) and chose both Boot priority order & HD priority to use the Win10 USB drive (it does see it). But I land in some Grub page instead. I guess Grub is getting in the way?
I am using the Tux4Ubuntu Boot Loader.

Thanks guys,

JDL

There may be a general problem to what you're trying to do, and there may be some good solutions out there: I've just not had time to play with the options in quite a while.

The problem (I think) that is likely biting you is the different formats. Starting with Windows 8, you either have "Legacy BIOS" for startup options or you have UEFI. If you're using UEFI for Windows 8/10, then a lot of other OS options won't boot - regardless of media.

This MIGHT get you at least on the trail you need:

I found it with the following Google search criteria: windows 10 linux dual boot uefi

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back