Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC doesn't power down after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanders2004

Technical User
May 18, 2004
GB
Hi,

I've recently built a new computer and am experiencing the following problem:

When shutting down Windows, everything appears to shut down but the computer will not switch off. The fans continue spinning and the power light stays on although the monitor does switch off. If I press the power button to turn it off, nothing happens. In fact I think it boots back up as the hard disk spins but still no output to screen. The only way to get the display back on is to press the reset button once hard disk activity has stopped. I've tried everything, unplugging any non vital parts, reinstalling Windows, resetting the BIOS. Swapping around/reversing case switches all with no affect. The only thing I have been unable to do is change the HAL under Computer in device configuration. It was set to Uniprocessor and is now set to Standard. I've tried to change it to Advanced Configuration and Power Interface but am unable to do so, even if reinstalling Windows. Everything else works fine and i've had no problems with the PC switching off or dropping out of Windows. Any ideas?

My PC consists of:

ABit NF7S V2 NForce2 Motherboard
Athlon XP 2800 Athlon CPU
450W CWT SATA Dual Fan PSU

I have Windows XP Service Pack 1a. The latest drivers have been installed and the BIOS has been updated.

Some won't shutdown. Try holding the switch for about 4 seconds and see if it will shutdown that way.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Check the APC settings in BIOS as well. I have seen APC conflict with ACPI. If you are using ACPI, you should make sure APC is disabled in BIOS.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the advice but i've already tried that, the only way to power it off is the by turning off the PSU button. A few times when I have turned the power back on, even after it has been off all night, the PC fans etc, start up again but the computer doesn't boot until the reset button is pushed. This isn't the case everytime though. Sometimes when I turn it on it works as it should. I know it's not a strange wiring problem with the switches as i've thoroughly tested them in different configurations.

Jeff,

I've already tried that too. Any power management or related items that can be disabled in the BIOS have been. I'm not currently using ACPI within Windows just Standard PC. I have been advised to change to the ACPI Hal but i'm unable to do so. I know you can press F5 when installing Windows and select the appropriate Hal but Windows fails to install if I do this. My main concern is I hope that there isn't a fault with the motherboard as it's brand new and may need sending back.

Thanks,

Simon

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode (F8) and then shutting down?

Jeff

Jeff,

I hadn't but I just gave it a go and same problem. I've also tried booting up a DOS startup disk. If I press the power button to turn it off, again theres no output to the display but fans and processor carry on churning.

What operating system is it? There is a fix for win98 experiencing shutdown problems. you can find it on the microsoft site if you do a search for win98 shutdown fix.

Sounding like the M/B.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I had the same problem but with the amd athalon 1.2, so one day i fryed my cpu becase i forgot to plug the fan back in(stupid me). i got a new proccessor but i got a different one i got the amd athalon 1.3 and my problem whent away, but now i am experiencing some other problems like it takes 3 min for POST to even know that it has started it stops at post and waits 3 min before it starts the ram test. but i think your problem is with your cpu, i have had nothing but bad problems with booting and shutting down with amd proccessors. also make sure your clock speed and buss speed are both correct and make sure you have your chipset drivers installed. hope this helpes but you got me stumped too.

I dont' know if this is out of date, or what, but there is no listing in the compatibility chart for the NF7S m/b and the Athlon 2800+. It only goes up to 2700+. No listing for the P/S you mentioned either. Here's the link to the Abit chart:

Jeff C.

If all else fails, read the directions.
If that fails, REBOOT!

Thanks both for the info. Theres some very helpful information here too about shutdown and powerdown issues:
Sadly not helpful enough for me though, it looks as though i'll just have to stick with it for the time being and hope that eventually some new drivers or a new bios update will fix the problem.

Simon

It sounds to me like it might be the connection between the power button and the motherboard. Make sure the pins on the connector to the motherboard are aligned correctly.

But just to clarify, when you start with the system completely off, does the power button on the front of the PC turn the system on? Or are you forced to toggle it on/off using the button in the rear on the power supply?

Also is this a new system, or did the problem just start occurring out of nowhere?

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg,

It's a brand new system yes also, if the machine is completely shut down and in a powered off state then the front power button does turn it on. I have checked the pin alignment and even reversed the switch connection but that didn't seem to do anything.

Simon

"...if the machine is completely shut down and in a powered off state then the front power button does turn it on. I have checked the pin alignment and even reversed the switch connection but that didn't seem to do anything."

Sounds a lot like my problem. Mine will turn off after Windows shutdown, though. See the thread at:

thread602-843396

I think I'm going to replace the PSU as my next step.

Jeff C.

If all else fails, read the directions.
If that fails, REBOOT!

Jeff,

Your problem does sound a bit similar. I think i've tried and tested absolutely everything I can now on mine. As they are brand new components i've contacted the supplier to see if they will exchange the motherboard or motherboard and PSU for new ones. The problem now seems to be getting worse. The PC comes straight on (but it doesn't boot up) the moment I turn the PSU switch on, even after being powered down all night. To get it to boot I have to press the front power switch, quickly followed by the reset switch. It sounds like it's a switch issue but i'm pretty certain it's more than that as I have tried shutting down with the switch disconnected (me thinking that perhaps it was in a constant "on" state) and also switching the PSU switch off and on whist it's disconnected, it still powers up straight away!

Simon

shows the layout of an ATX power supply connector and has a description of ATX power-on signalling. Pin 14, PS_ON#, is the signal responsible for powering on/off the supply. A TTL low, 0 volts, signals the power supply to power up, while a TTL high on this pin tells the supply to shut off.
At this point, it sounds as if your motherboard is pulling pin 14 low (ground) for some reason. Ensure that Wake on LAN, Wake on Modem, and any other "Wake" up features in BIOS are disabled. Can the board be shorted to the case somewhere, pulling pin 14 to ground? Perhaps pulling the motherboard out, setting it on a non-conductive surface and trying power may reveal something.

It also bothers me that you could not get the HAL set to ACPI, but I guess tackling one problem at a time is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back