Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Diagnostic Software - Opinions, Recommendations, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

melmitts

Programmer
Jun 18, 1999
US
Recently I have been looking at PC Diagnostic software. Most seem out dated or requires individual license of every computer tested. Anything out there that will allow you to load a CD or USB flash drive and test the system without having to install the software?

Thanks...
Mel

Depends what you are trying to diagnose. If it's hardware, the only real diagnostic tools will connect physically to the PC via PCI slot or other point and run companion software, it's rather expensive. Look at
With the low cost of PC parts today spending a lot of bench time troubleshooting and repairing is becoming less of a feasible option. Having spare parts that cover the spectrum of your everyday machines (CPUs, MBs, RAM, Gfx etc.) along with educated-guess trial-and-error could possibly be more fruitful.

Tony

Users helping Users...

One I have used before & found good was AmiDiag: Not tried the most recent release though, but as mentioned above wasting to much time on the bench testing just isn't worth it. Try to determine what might be wrong & swap things out. Often quicker.

Do a GOOGLE looksee for Ultimate Boot CD...

it has benchmarks, stress tests, HDD diags, etc. ready to boot...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I like Sandra by Sisoft. Bench your pc and run a diag on the whole thing, gives you some pointers about what to change to increase performance.

-Bobby

Well, that was kind of the point... I am looking for something "quick & dirty", no installation required. Just pop in a CD or USB stick, cycle a few basic tests to maybe get a starting point.

I will check out the Ultimate Boot CD. I seems kind of what I was looking for.

As far as I can tell, Sandra by Sisoft needs to be installed prior to using.

Thanks to all who replied...

Mel

melmitts you are right, SiSoft Sandra does need to be installed on a Windows OS, before using it...

and UBCD is a bootable CD that does what you are looking for...

post back if it is what you sought...

another, but alas expensive way, would be to use ToolStarOS, it comes on a bootable USB stick...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Just out of curiosity, do you have a website for ToolStarOS? I googled it and could not find anything.

In the meantime, I downloaded Ultimate Boot CD and am looking at now...

Mel

I just wanted to say thanks to all who replied. I didn't really find what I was looking for...

I am going to wander off in a new direction. I have started collecting the various test programs (freeware and those provided by the manufactures) Once I have the collection that I want, I am going to see if they will install under BartPE thus making my own PC Diagnostics disk.

Later...
Mel

The best solution that I have found (well, besides some common sense and a DVOM) is a plug-in POST card.

I never much cared for software that runs under an OS... if you have a hardware problem, then you need to diagnose the hardware *WITH* more hardware.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

gbaughma said:
...if you have a hardware problem, then you need to diagnose the hardware *WITH* more hardware.

Ding ding ding. All the boot CDs in the world won't tell you a thing if the RAM's locking up the system and keeps it from booting.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back