Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Diag software suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkert

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2001
US
Does anyone have a suggestion about diagnostic software for Windows PC's? I want a full report on the system and I am looking for software that will "Beat the hell" out of a HD, Floppy and Memory.

If you're looking for a general diagnostivs program then I would recommend Belarc Advisor:

If your looking for a full drag-out diag program then I would recommend SiSoft Sandra:

Both are good programs. I hope this is what you are looking for. Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

Warning about Sandra- ran it on my Win XP machine & 'she' gave me a list of services that could definitely be removed, including Remote Call Procedure (or one related to that).

I was surprised by that one & rightly so. After a restart any installs I tried to run would only make it to 3/4 of the install shield!

That said, as an information tool, Sandra was the best one I'd seen for layout & ease of use. Just use it's optimisation wizards with both eyes wide open...

We use a software called Forefront troubleshooter. The kit comes with 3 loopback connectors, 1 cdrom to test cdrom drives and a bootable software disk. The software is ok. If it finds a problem then there's definately a problem but if all the tests past, it's not garanteed your computer is ok... It basically means I don't trust it 100% but I do use it.

I agree with Enkrypted, Belarc for advising, but Optimizer XP by Dead Knight for safe tweaking. Regards
Phil

Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful to you. Without your feedback I don't know if the answer was correct.

Mad Onion's PC Mark and 3d Mark will "Beat the Hell" out of any PC, and are both good complements to Sandra.

For tweaking, try TweakXP as a good basic all-rounder - it comes with a built-in pop-up blocker for internet sites, which I find extremely useful.

For serious tweaking, you can't do much better than XSetup - "Black Belt Tuning..."

Use Google to find these... :) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back