Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Crashing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobleza

Programmer
Feb 27, 2008
ZA
Hi all,

I have an intel core 2 duo that keeps crashing with a blue screen.

The pc is running windows XP service pack 2,
it has 2 gig ram,
500 gig H/drive

The error I get is that windows has detected an error and is shutting down to prevent hardware damage.

This only seems to happen when I put stress on the pc.

Here is what I have done so far,
1) I thought that it was harddrive related and replaced that.
2) I have also changed the harddrive onto another SATA connection on the m/board
3) I have swopped out Ram
4) I am considering putting in a new motherboard.

Thanks

Hold on there smokey, you're flailing like a fish out of water. Don't replace anything else until you troubleshoot.

You replaced the hard drive?? Then it's not the problem.

You swapped out the RAM?? If ALL of it was swapped out, then it's not a RAM issue.

Here's what I would do, but first look in the event log for anything juicy and post it.

0. Try booting in Safe Mode and stressing the computer in Safe Mode. Does it crash??? Report back. If it doesn't crash, it's most likely a startup item or a driver.

1. Run a scan with MalwareByte's AntiMalware in SAFE MODE IF it crashes in regular mode. Clean whatever is found. Reboot to normal mode and test again.

2. Run a SFC /SCANNOW to verify windows files. Reboot, what happens.

3. Check for driver updates - especially sound, video and wireless adapters (if any).

4. Install SP3 when things are stabilized.

Thanks,

Will do this evening and report back tomorrow,

Normally I would have mentioned checking RAM and testing the hard drive with the manufacturer's utility, but you replaced the hard drive and I'm assuming you replaced ALL the RAM.

Did you reinstall the OS from scratch or did you clone from the old hard drive to the new? If you cloned, it would have dragged old problems over to the new. If it was a new install, I'm even more suspicious of drivers or startup items since you would have a "clean" system without malware on it from the reload.

This only seems to happen when I put stress on the pc.

Every time I see this statement, the first thing I'm looking for is overheating. The second thing that I'm looking for is that the system is getting adequate, clean power. It's possible that it could be something else, but 9 times out of 10 that's an overheating or underpowered situation.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Yep, oveheating and power would both be areas I'd be looking at as well

Ummm... not to be a noodge... but without seeing the information from the BSOD, how are you guys even making recommendations of what to check?

gobleza: Can you please post the contents of your BSOD here, so we can see what is actually going on? If you know how to read it, there's a wealth of information on a BSOD.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

You're right that the OP gave only very vague information, but in my experience when a system seems to work OK except when it's under load, and then in BSOD's, there is often a power or cooling issue involved.

I could be totally wrong. It could be a flakey display driver that causes crashes when the system is "under load" (aka playing games). But it's pretty easy to see if temps are too high, or to list what hardware is installed and compare that to the PSU to see if it's likely to be overloaded, so I'd look at those two things first.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Hi all,

I followed goombawaho's advice and started with the event viewer,

Here is discovered the following, There is a warning that reads as follows:
An Error was detected on device \device\harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

I tried to do a chkdsk which hangs up on the 5th step where it is checking data contents.

I have downloaded manufacturer software and run scans with that but all seems to be ok,

I didn't have time to exchange the SATA Data cable between the MOBO and h/drive, will do this this evening.

I swapped out all the ram,

did all other steps that goombawaho's gave and still nothing.

A CHKDSK should be able to complete, but you state "I tried to do a chkdsk which hangs up on the 5th step where it is checking data contents."

Something is wrong here. You never stated whether you did a clean install or cloned to the new drive.

Can you put the hard drive in another computer and run a chkdsk on it from there and see if it makes any difference?

I installed a clean version of windows XP Prof.

I wil install the drive on another pc and run the chkdsk.

What is wierd is that chkdsk doesn't complete, it either just hangs there and if left to continue it will eventually just reboot the box.

Right my first move is to replace the SATA data cable,
If that doesn't work then I will remove the drive and install it in another pc and retry the chkdsk.

Thanks for all the assistance thus far,

You might want to read the other posts from yesterday before you start swapping every item in the machine.

I'll recap it for you:
- post the info from the BSOD
- Given your description (only fails "under load"), inadequate cooling or power are likely culprits

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

You probably know your motherboard info. Take that to the web to look for any major driver and/or firmware updates as well. Sometimes manufacturers release driver/firmware updates for their mainboards b/c of situations like what you're running into.

But also do post the BSOD info here, and it wouldn't hurt to post some info about your PSU, total components, type of case, fans, etc... to help determine if it's power/heat related.

For temps and such as well, as soon as you get the BSOD next time, (after taking down the BSOD info), reboot into your BIOS screens, and look for the hardware temps, and post what info you see there.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Hi all,

Thanks for all the assistance,
Replacing the SATA Data cable did the trick,

All the paging issues stopped the minute I replaced it and also the crashing hasn't happend since,

Again thanks to all the responses

Thanks for the follow-up. Inevitably, someone will have the same problem, and come here looking for an answer.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Yeah, it's the simple things that kill you sometimes. Everybody looks for the "high-end" solution but the fix is at a lower level component.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back