Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pc Crashing/looping thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

brain3000

Technical User
Feb 11, 2006
IE
Hi i have a nvidia geForce4 mx440,
when i built my own pc i used this card which had been in my old machine,

my pc keeps crashing at random times and ive tried everything to fix it,including updating graphic card drivers and updating my bios

i read that "gormster" had the same problem a while ago, did he fix it?

i would really appreatiate your help

brain3000,

When you say "crashing at random times", is the symptom that the computer just locks up?

My girlfriend had this problem for quite a while, and I suspected the video card. Replacing her old nVidia card with a new ATI card seemed to fix the problem at first, but it eventually turned out to be heat related.

Could you post the specs for your machine, along with typical thermal readings (if you have them) and typical cpu load when these crashes occur?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

my pc just completely reboots without any warning

pc specs:

AMD Athlon 3200, 2.21GHz
MSI K8N Neo Platinum Motherboard
512Mb of RAM
nvidia geForce4 mx440 graphics card
windows xp home sp2

Thermal readings

System temp 36*C/96*F
Cpu temp 42*c/109*F

Few possible reasons this can be caused. First off check your ram voltage in bios to see if its adjusted right according to the ram manufacturers site. Also Ensure the ram is compatible for the board , I dont mean as if its pc3200 or whatever it is your board takes but check to ensure that it is listed as brand and model number compatible lol. Also if you have more than one chip of ram in the board take it out and leave one in at a time and download memtest from the link below. Follow its instructions and repost with your results.

my memory is differently the right type it came is part of a package, i cant run the memory test as i have no access to a floppy or cd-rw drive

Sounds like bad memory is the most likely candidate but other things could cause this.
Cheap power supply allowing voltage drop
Poor connection, main power plug to motherboard, power lead, socket etc etc
Try those first
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

i really dont think its a problem with my memory, and i checked all my connections,
according to microsoft crash analise its to do with a driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back