Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc crashes and random restarts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Ive have just built myself a new machine which goes by the spec of:
cpu:AMD athlonXP 1800+
motherboard: InnoBoard BD-7300D KT266
memory:256mb ddr 2100
hard drive: IBM deskstar 40gb 7200rpm
graphics card: ge-force 2 mx200 32mb
Only problem is that it randomly restarts itself and when i run games like quake 3 or counter strike it crashes, leaving it solid in 1 frame and repeating the sound over and over, it then exits to the desktop with one of those windows xp send error reports, or sometimes it even randomly restarts during playing the game as well, please help , any help would be greatly appreciated, thx, Rob

Sounds like it is over heating. Are all fans running? Or your power supply is under powered or defective. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Well im using a 300 watt psu, all my fans are definalty working as i have made sure of this, 1 thing i always do. Do you think 300 watt is enough?

300W should be, though it's on the edge of being under powered. They are recommending 350+ these days. Since it only does it while you are playing games I would suspect the video card. It may be overheating or just a bad card. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Hello There ...

In windows Xp there is one option after selecting this option it will not restart.

1. go to control panel
2. click on to switch to classic view and it will show you all icons.into which we have to select system.
3. in system properties we have an option Advance.
4. in advance there is a option named " Startup and recovery"
5. click onto setting overthere.
6. there will be option for Automatically restart.
7. uncheck this option.
8. it will resolve the problem.
9. and you must have to clean up the startup from the System Configuration utility.

Hopefully it will solve your problem.

Please comment on this resolution.

Regards.
Pcexperts.

Thank you very much for that, it has helped, no more restarts at all, i have also solved the problem where it crashes a lot, it was overheating because there was no thermal grease being used on the cpu which was making it overheat. Ive bought some of the expensive stuff as its obviously of higher quality than the cheap and nast stuff and my system is stable as a rock now, thx a lot you two who have helped me very appreciated :D

Hi. I am having the same problem with games like CS where it randomly Crashes or restarts
But i am running ME and i have no option i am aware of that can keep it from rebooting by itself. Also my CPU is not overheating (that i know of) all my software for monitoring says im running 110-117F pretty consistantly.
the fan on my card is working so i dont think im over heating there. But for the few minutes i can play it runs great but only for a few minutes... heh if there are any suggestions i would really appretiate it. i am going to swap out my G card with a friends to see if it helps.
my system is a xp2200 512ddr pc2700 gforce4 ti 4200 m/b Soyo Dragon Ultra kt333
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back