Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Crashed now wont power on?!!! Whats happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYQUE

Technical User
May 22, 2002
GB
I just bought a new ATI Radeon 9800 pro by saphire and installed it into my pc Athlon 2000+ on an Asus A7V333 mainboard. It ran fine for 6 hours then I decided to run a Radeon specific 3D demo to see what the card could do. About 30 seconds in to the demo my pc crashed... just instantly switched off. Didn't look good to say the least. Now it won't turn on at all. I've left it to cool down with power cord unpluged for a whole night and it still wont turn on. I push the power button in and absolutly nothing happens. No fans turn, no nothing :( The only thing that happens is when the power is pluged in to the PC a big green LED light is lit on the motherboard and the Monitor turns on as its power is obtained through the PCs power source.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem would be greatly appreciated. I need this thing back up and running ASAP so if I need to go get a new Mboard and/or CPU I gota know real soon. Please help!! Thank you all in advance :)

Just a Quick ? what kinda Power supply you have wattage/Brand?

Not sure of brand, I'm at work at the mo os can't get to it. Its 300W though.

Ok well i'm prob gonna say Power supply Just an FYI any Radeon 9800/9700 series cards w/an Athlon is said to need no less than a 350Watt PSU I would go with a 400 or a true380 or higher i recommend Antec or Vantec i use these in all the gaming machines i build for my company and Co-Workers.

Great, thanks. I'll try that out. Hopefully thats the solution as its one of the cheapest!!!

I would agree the power supply failing is the most likely cause.
Min 350watt but 400 or better recomended, twin fan units give better case cooling.
Sounds like "the straw that broke the camels back" a good desciption for the extra load from the 9800Pro just being a little too much for the low powered 300watter to cope with.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

And the hope that the power, when it upchucked, didn't take anything else out with it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I agree with all the above. Its GOT to be the power supply. You got too much demand from that ATI card, and the power supply refuses to take on the load....

I would recommend at THE VERY LEAST a 400W PSU for that type of card.

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Network/Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

Thanks for all the help. I've tested my system with another PSU and it worked great. So I've gone for the safe bet and got myself a dual fan 500W power supply and have had it running for a whole day so it looks like nothing else was damaged in the proccess... phew!

Cheers 2 all [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back