Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaerokD

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2004
US
I bought a new computer in Feb, and Here's what happened. A storm was coming through our area, so as a precaution, I always unplug my computer from the outlets. The only thing that was plugged into my PC was my DSL line which was connected to a surge protector (I stupidly forgot to pull it). When the storm hit, it went through my DSL line and blew the surge protector to the DSL line. The DSL line then goes from the surge protector to a router which goes to my computer. The router obtained no damage, but now my PC will not even post. When I start the computer, the electric goes to the CD-Rom then the A Drive where my computer stops. There are no boot-up/post beeps, no display, not anything. A scan of the motherboard shows no oozing or raised areas to denote a possible surge hit. There are no scorch marks on a regular scan. I have disconnected all devices: hard drive, cd-rom, a drive, ram chip and it still does not achieve post. I have not reset the chips nor heatsink yet, nor disconnected areas on the motherboard like sound, bios battery, etc. Was going to do this this weekend coming--a complete breakdown.

The computer is a 2.60 Ghz Intel Celeron Processor, 256 MB DDR, 40 Gig Hard drive, 56x CD-RW running Win XP Professional.

My question is, What could have been fried? Is there something I am overlooking? Is there anything else I can try? Or is my 5 years worth of saving for this computer completely down the drain? I am welcome and open to any constructive ideas. Please be adviced, if a new item is warranted as a solution, I only have about $40 dollars to play with whereas I am on a very limited budget.

Thank you in advance of any and all help with this issue.

NaerokD

Take the mobo out of the case and hook up the cpu and psu. If it still does not work it's one of those. I'd try replacing the psu first since that is the least expensive. Borrow one if you can for the test.

hmm...

are you sure u unplugged everything apart from the dsl line?

cos it looks like the surge protector worked...

try resetting your cmos or just flash your bios...

maybe you need to reseat some cards and/or plugs...

Thank you both for the replies.

Yes, everything was unplugged. I plan this weekend breaking it down and starting up from scratch beginning with Franklin's suggestion. I was able to talk my boss into leting me get a psu to borrow, but we haven't gotten out in the warehouse to pull it yet. we were going to do it tomorrow so I can try to do this this weekend. A friend of mine suggested resetting CMOS but to be honest, short of tilting it on it side and disconnecting drives, I have not been able to get into it. I am looking forward to jumping into it this weekend. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Thank you both so much for the information you have given me. It is very much appreciated.

NaerokD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back