Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jizviz

Programmer
Oct 13, 2002
US
I'm looking to buy a pc for running an MSDE 2000 database. What would be the best configuration for the machine. I want the speed to be a driver in the configuration. What type of processor, how much ram, type of hard drive etc. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind spending more if the performance warrants it.

THANKS!!!!

Are you kidding? for MSDE? Any new PC will be more than enough.

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Just make sure it has 2 (or more) gigs of ram.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Why would you think I was kidding? I currently have two machines, One is bare bones and the other is midrange. Obviuosly the midrange machine runs the application much faster. So I'm looking for the optimal configuration!

You might want to consider just using SQL 2005 Express also...

[small]----signature below----[/small]
I'm pushing an elephant up the stairs

My Crummy Web Page

Check the Microsoft website, they will list minimum requirements to run the app. No one is going to have the "optimal configuration" for you. That all depends on what the db will be used for, amount of traffic, etc.

The more ram the better
the faster the CPU is the better
the faster the harddrive (cheetah or barracuda 15K) the better

Optimal will cost you a lot of money
I would go for 2GB or ram at least and a good hardrive, ideally 2 harddrives to separate the log from the data file

Denis The SQL Menace
--------------------
SQL Server Code,Tips and Tricks, Performance Tuning
SQLBlog.com, Google Interview Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back