Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC choice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorney

Technical User
Sep 15, 2003
CA
Hello I have choice of 2 PC for my son.
The first is a Celeron 697 Mhz, e/w 256 M RAM built-in video card
The second is a Compac P3 733 Mhz e/w 512 M RAM e/w PCI 128 M video card.
One the memory I can upgrade the Celeron, but the P3 is max out, as per Crucial web site. Same for Celeron I'll be max out with 512.

Please let know.
Thanks.

Go for the Compaq, but you may struggle to get any software to run on it...
Windows 98 should run Ok but is out of date
Windows XP, but will be slow
Linux if feeling brave.
How big are the hard Drives

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Thanks for your reply....
Both are 20 Gig.

Yeah I would like to have my kids playing on Linux, but the games they liked to play are unfortunately on Windows based...
I can't wait for big company and School to pick only Linux... ;-)
Even at School they use only Windows...it's sad...

...but the games they liked to play are unfortunately on Windows based

Hopefully these are "educational" games or games that date back to 2000 give or take a year. Otherwise, you'll have very little luck in getting them to run very well. Even if they are old games, you will still want a standalone video card in the PC instead of one that is integrated on the motherboard. Integrated GPU's back then were extremely horrible.

Also, the PIII will be significantly faster than the Celeron. Both came out in late 1999. I'm assuming you are getting one of these for free??

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Sure it's free... If not I would buy a new box for not much at Tigerdirect.ca they have good deal....
But for the kids need I think it's ok.. They play DOFUS which is not too heavy on process....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back