Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC boot issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headiswrecked

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2003
IE
Hi, I have a problem with my desktop. I have 2 user accounts set up on the p.c. with different settings that I can log onto. When I boot my p.c. I get to the point where I can choose either user but on both settings all that displays is the desktop background. All the shortcuts to MS Office and other applications have disappeared, the option to click on the start button or any other menu options has also disappeared.

Is this a windows issue or do I have a virus or something else.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like it is not opening the explorer file. if you hit control-alt-delete, you should see file, then under file new task(run) then type in explorer and see what happens.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Or boot into safe mode and uninstall Explorer---it will automatically rebuild and reinstall upon normal boot.

Burt

i have a quick question how would one uninstall explore in safe mode had the problem a while i backed up my file then reformatted. thanks

nick

I had to actually rebuild my entire profile because one time, out of the blue, my windows would not minimize---they would close when I clicked the minimize button. As far as deleting explorer, I had to Google it...it was about 2 years ago, so I could not tell you right off the top of my head. Sorry...I just remember it was an option I read about.

Burt

Thanks for all replies. Ran safe mode and managed to get a system restore option which worked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back