Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupas

Technical User
Aug 19, 2006
US
I have about 100 PCs I would like to connect to by using PC Anywhere. How is this possible to do?

Thanks!

are all your machines in the same domain? you want to connect all at the same time? Why PC Anywhere?

Tom

The host machines will all have to have the host software loaded on them. In the remotes area of the machine you will be accessing them from just start creating remotes named for each computer and then set it up with IP addresses or phone numbers. I have at least that many in my Pcanywhere remotes setup. We use 'logmein' in a pinch if router ports or something get altered, but we use it for the file transfer capabilities because the logmein doesn't do file transfer. Unless there is a better edition we don't have.
So yes, this is easily possible.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

NoCalAdmin:
Yes all the PCs are on the same domain. Id like to be able to connect to them when needed. Is thers something else better than PC Anywhere?

DTSMAN:
So PC Anywhere will work... All I need to do is install it on every PC that I have on the domain. Would you know what ports I need to open up for this to happen (5631)? I want to be able to connect from home to any PC I have on my domain at any given time at work.

Thanks!

For all XP machines just connect via Remote Access, it'll be more responsive. PC Anywhere will work, just need to ensure you have credentials set on the HOST and recipients machine

Tom

Can I set it up so I dont need to have them give me access?
Not all PCs are running XP either some are running 2000.
Thanks!

you can set it up to overtake a machine. I believe you can even have a message pop on their screen letting them know here you come... There are some tweaks in PC Anywhere your should read up on, it's been 2 years since we've used it...is had some cool features though. The XP machines I still would just use Remote Access.

Tom

Do you need the file transfer capabilites of Pcanywhere?
Or do you just want to capture the desktop?
Remote desktop and VNC will capture desktops for free.

When coming in from the outside through a router, I believe you can only port forward to only one pc and then you would have to use a remote control service on that pc to get to the rest of the network. In our situation, we pcanywhere into the customers server and then VNC out to the client machines. On the xp machine you may need to disable the windows firewall or set it up to allow this servcice.
forward ports tcp 5631 and udp 5632

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

NoCalAdmin:
So you use XP Remote Access instead of PCAnywhere? Do you need to forward or open ports? Right now what I do is log onto Citrix and then use VNC to connect to each machine but there is a major drag when doing it that way and I need to make sure VNC is running. Sometimes the user turns it off cuz they dont like seeing it in the taskbar. Anyway around this?

DTSMAN:
I would like to connect to each machine like I was sitting right there in front of it in the office. If I need to fix something to it I want the capabilities to do so.
How can I use VNC from home to connect to any machine at work? Isnt there a delay, drag time?

once your machine and user credentials are authenticated in your Domain you'll be able to use those credentials to attach via Remote Access to the machiens you have set up to allow it. I use either VPN or Citrix, depends what I am doing, but both function using Remote Access.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back