Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere v10 over DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdschooler

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2001
US
I am trying to use PC Anywhere 10.0 to provide tech support to my computer iliterate mother who is 60 miles away....the only problem is that she does not have dialup...she only uses DSL...I also have DSL through the same ISP but we have been unable to make a successful connection with her computer set as the host and mine as the remote...

I have read all the directions Ican find and followed them step by step...Can anyone help me?

Some hurdles that I think maybe the problem are:

1). Does our ISP use a firewall somehow between us?

2). Neither of us have Static IP addresses....we rely on winipcfg to find the IP address (which matches the one PC Anywhere lists while waiting for connection)...could this be the problem?

ANYONE....PLEASE HELP! X-)

Respectfully,
Jeff

Jeff,

I doubt that the ISP has a firewall that you need to contend with. I think that since you don't have a static IP address you will need to educate your mother on how to find the current IP address through Winipcfg.exe and then she can give you the current address so you can change your set-up. Once that is done you should be able to connect with that machine.

Let me know if this works for you, Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to let them and others know the information was of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back