Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGA

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
AU
I am unable to connect with Netmeeting or PC Anywhere to a Small Business Server 4.5 Service PAck 6a which is behind a firewall. The IP Address is a private Ip 192.168.x.x. How can I connect to any machine with a private IP address. I have no problem connecting to any machine with a Public Static or dynamic IP.Any Solution to this problem.

Thanks.

You say that your machine is behind a firewall. I presume that you mean a firewall/router. Have you forwarded the ports in the router?
The router is connected to the WAN (outside) with your real IP address but it connects to the internal machine with a different IP address i.e 192.168.*.*
You need to configure the router so that incoming requests on any given port are sent to the correct internal address |(the router doesn't know it by itself - even if only one machine is inside the firewall)
With PCAnywhere this means forwarding ports 5631 and 5632.
You can do this from the routers configuration utility.
If you have a fixed real IP address then you connect to that address - and the router routes it to the internal one. If you have a dynamic address - it will keep changing so you might do well to visit which is a free service that allows you to use a name instead of an address (i.e yourname.no-ip.org - or whatever you choose) it then keeps track of your real ip address and keeps it updated on the DNS servers.
If you don't know your real IP address then you should run a search in Google or whatever you use as there are several services that will tell you what your current address is - unfortunately I don't have any of the site names with me now - sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back