Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere over internet using cable access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroce

MIS
Nov 30, 2000
US
No one at the cable company seems to know this, it ought not to be so difficult could it?

I have a LAN serviced with a cable modem and a router and a firewall. The cable modem grants access to about 30 pc's.
I have a telecommuter who has cable access at home. She wants to access her desktop via PCAnywhere taking advantage of cables' speed.

In PCAnywhere documentation, it says you can use port 5631 to commnicate using the internet (TCP/IP.)

So theoretically, all I would need to do to give this user access to the LAN from home is to open the port on the firewall, and configure the remote computer to look for it's ip address right? (the lan uses static ip addressing)

Is it this simple? I mean I have the basic premise correct don't I? - Does anyone know of a reason this can or can't be done?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

How much water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

cool. this is going to be really helpful. I'm going to be getting this up and running within the next week or so. I'll post back with results, trials and tribulations. How much water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

Spent some time yesterday with a Tech - Ed at Symantec. You might contact them and ask your specific Q's. He was very competent and knowledgeable. He referred me to this article for a problem I was facing:

"How to use pcAnywhere over an Internet connection"

Dave Y
dydavid@ix.netcom.com

did you get your pc anywhere problem solved

Hi n0795:

I did in fact get pcAnywhere to connect - and let me tell you it FLIES - so indeed it can be done.

HOWEVER........

there is a brand new glitch I have been trying to troubleshoot. It seems that connecting is no problem, but the connection consistently drops after no more than 3-5 minutes.

There were a few fixes and tests we tried. they were:

1. changing the version of Winsock used by pcanywhere - it seems that if you have a firewall, (which we do) the versions of winsock have to match. It was possible that the firewall was running winsock1, and by default pcAnywhere 10 runs version 2. So we went into the registry and changed it, but this still didn't help.

2. We also tried turning off the pcAnyWhere video cache which did not work.

3. We did a traceroute and found that the signal was consistently getting hung up on one particluar hop - so we have placed a call to our cable provider - our theory is that there is trouble somewhere on their network. They have not yet responded. They are so slow. This has been a major drawback to business services provided by a cable company.

4. Another possible fix I heard of is to change the tcp and udp ports back to the originals if they have been changed. default ports are 5631 and 5632 i believe.

Symantecs support site has some decent information. Here are the documents I have made use of if anyone is trying to do something similar with PCA:

PCANYWHERE AND PROXY SERVERS
KNOWLEDGE BASE DOC ID1999022512473512

HOW TO USE PCANYWHERE WITH A CABLE OR ADSL MODEM
KNOWLEDGE BASE DOC ID 2001020515021912

PCANYWHERE AND WINSOCK
KNOWLEDGE BASE DOCUMENT ID

HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT PCA TCP/IP CONNECTIONS
KNOWLEDGE BASE DOC ID 199732093939
http//service4.symantec.com/support/pca.nsf/pfdocs/199732093939 How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

I use PCANYWHERE to connect to about 70% of my clients TCPIP one thing that has been usful id ConnectIfUnknown=1 The winsock thing doesnt really help Ive tried that.
Wait till you need to connect to a remote pc that is running Win2000 and Novell client and a Novell 4.1 server those 3 thing make it very interesting.

Glad it worked out.
Nick
MCP A+

n0795,

you wrote:

one thing that has been usful id ConnectIfUnknown=1

I assume that this is a registry setting? is it the default one or did you change it? I assume it's in the same area where winsock setting is located.

thanks for the tip - i hadn't heard that one. does symantec document it anywhere? How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back