Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC ANYWHERE OVER FIREWALL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenrd

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
US
can you use pc anywhere when your server has a firewall up?ive looked for this on thier web site but couldnt find anything on it ...also is there any other options to pc anywhere that will let you have remote access that anyone would recommend??tahnk you

Yes you can use PcAnywhere with a firewall up. It's a matter of knowing what ports to open on te firewall. Symantec (I think they are still the vendor of pcAnywhere) should have this information available. Or do a Google search on ports to open for pcAnywhere. Here's a list I found. This might be pretty old as I don't know what version of pcAnywhere they have nowadays.

pcANYWHERE vers. TCP port # UDP port #
2.0 65301 22
7.0 65301 22
7.50, 7.51 65301 22
CE 65301 22
7.52 5631 5632
8.x, 9.x, 10.x   5631 5632

THANKS MAX I ALSO ASSIGNED MY OWN I.P. ADDRESS FOR THE HOST WHICH IS THE SERVER BUT WHEN I TRIED TO CONNECT FROM MY HOME IT WOULDNT CONNECT COULD THAT BE ONE OF THE PROBLEMS IM HAVING ALSO???I CAN CONNECT TO IT FROM A PC THATS ON THE NETWORK HERE AT WORK BUT CANT GET TO IT FROM ANOTHER PC NOT TIED INTO THE HUB....ANYMORE HELP WOULD BE GREAT

I am assuming you do not have your firewall up. If so try to bypass the firewall and make sure it works that way first. Beyond that, I don't have enough details on your network setup to say what the problem could be. I would like to know if your network is private (i.e. 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x) or is your network (the server in particular) accessible from the Internet. The way to test this is to try to ping the server's IP address when you are connected to the Internet from home.

no it is not accessible from the internet we use 10.xxxx,im sure that is probably why we cant get to it huh?we do have a firewall running zone alarm pro ...is setting the i.p. to auto detect going to open us up for more hack attempts ?it is not a web server it is strickly a file server. so im guessing the problem is the self assigned i.p. address.your thoughts on setting to auto detect i.p. when it comes to security?thanks again

Problem: cannot connect to host at work from home using pcanywhere. Error: "Unable to attach to specified device". I can however pcanywhere to other boxes at work from home.

Home: windows xp, pca 10.5 remote, vpn connection, dsl

Work: windows xp, pca 10.5 host

The VPN connection is always successful.

No one at work can connect to my my box at work either. I can however ping my box at work successfully and do a cmd tracert successfully.

Anyone have any clues?

darrenrd,

So are you saying that your network at work has no Internet access at all? Then of course you will not be able to access your network from home.

However, if your work network does have some sort of Internet connection then you must have some sort of router or proxy server that can translate your private network to one that is routable on the Internet. All the above mentioned PcAnywhere ports I mentioned (or you may have found from Symantec) will need to forwarded to your server at work. This most likely needs to be done by your net admin. Then to reach your server from home use your router or proxy server's public IP as the remote host IP.

One other note. If your server is getting assigned an IP via DHCP then you might want to consider setting a static IP on the server. The port forwarding I mentioned has to be pointed to the correct IP and you can only assign one IP per port number. Therefore if your server gets a different IP everytime you may have issues reaching it since the port forwarding needs to be set to that IP first. Better to assign a static IP so it never changes.

williadn,

If you can reach any box except one and no one else can seem to connect to that same box then it's reasonable to conclude there is something wrong with that box. Either the pcAnywhere is not configured correctly on that box or perhaps there is some sort of firewall (i.e. ZoneAlarm) running on that PC effectively blocking the necessary ports.

max thanks for the reply again...i desided to ditch that pc anywhere and found a different program called net op get this they give you 30 free trial plus free phone tech support included i hooked that program up and did the same thing them i called tech support and they got it going for me...got to love that..thanks again for the help

pca has been configured and re-configured by myself, our dept support/techie, and our corporate help desk team. It has been installed and re-installed as well.

I thought one of those individuals mentioned zonealarm to me, but I got the impression that I did not have it installed.....how would I check?

darrenrd I read your thread about Net Op.....sounds interesting, as I haven't been able to get PCAnywhere to work since I've tried going via internet. I want to access my work computer when I'm at home and being I'm not real familiar with ports, etc, but assume there is a firewall, do you think this Net Op be able to work for me? I have a cable internet at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back