Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere & multiple stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

efax03

Vendor
Apr 7, 2006
US
DSL Router to LinkSys WRT54G:

I usually get into my clients sites using a static IP provided by the ISP. I then have a single PC station set up at the clients office with PC Anywhere host running on it and bingo I get in. I can get what I need from this one networked PC station.

I have encountered a client who requires that I get into their internal network but I must be able to log on to each seperate PC station as needed. For example there are files on a single PC that are not shared with the others or I am to instruct a PC station user how to do something and I need to show them while I have control over their mouse and keyboard.

I do not know how or if this can be done.

Why would you want to use PC Anywhere when you can use remote desktop. Simply change the default port number from 3389 to say PC 1= 3389 pc2=3390 pc3 = 3391 and so on and so on. you can change the port number by changing the registery on each computer then you simply go into youre router and forward those port numbers to the client stations that you just created. the the user at home would simply open up remote desktop and enter 12.43.205.35:portnumber simple and ease

Well I am not an expert on either one of these so I could use some help setting this up.

I do not know what "remote desktop" is. Is this a program or a fuction of Windows?

I have been using PCA and a static IP address so I can log in from outside. Is "remote desktop" a windows function? I am using WIN2K at my office and this customer is using XP.

You can change ports in pcanywhere as well. For each host machine, go to Edit --> Preferences (or Tools --> Options, depending on version) choose Host Communications --> click Advanced TCP/IP Options --> enter your ports for this machine. Do the same on the other hosts. Make sure they all use different ports.

Now, from the remote machine, when you setup the Remote icon, go to Properties --> click Details --> enter your ports.

Then just make sure those ports are open on your router at the host location. Use port forwarding to direct the certain ports to the corresponding hosts' IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back