Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PBX room temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley01

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2006
US
Does anyone know what the maximum room temperature is for a 61C to operate in. We are shutting down the HVAC and I need to know if I should power down the PBX.

When I was in Phoenix AZ, I had an HVAC go out, I was running an MSL-100, and the tempature got up to 119 degrees in the switch room. This switch was supposedly smart enough to start shutting down cabinets to adjust for the heat. It ran that way for 12 hours, and I had no problems with any parts of the switch itself. The office computers were a different story, along with the T1 equipment racks.

Recommended:
15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F)
RH 20% to 55%, non-condensing

Absolute:
10° to 45°C (50° to 113°F)
RH 20% to 80%, non-condensing temperature change less than 10°C (18°F) per hour

CAUTION
Do not expose equipment to absolute temperature limits for more than 72 hours. Do not place heat sources (such as floor heaters) near the equipment.

I can't assure anything, but I've run 90 degrees F. for 7 days without any issues.

The trick, I think, is "moving air". Get a bunch of box fans and keep the room windy, or if feasible, aim them at the system with the doors removed from each module.

The surface temp of the components is well above the rooms ambient temperature, so moving air is your friend that keeps the components cool.

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

One other thing about that is if the temp sensor in the top cap reaches a certain temp, the system monitor will flip the switches breakers.

if you disconect the heat sensor on the top cab, (upgrade adding loops) the screen says.. pbx has reached an unsafe temp.. you have 90 seconds to respond.. (paraphrase) then the ckt breaker trips on just that col..

after 48 hours near 100, i would trip the breakers or void the maint forever.. heat stress may show up for months

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Don't forget your batteries.
If you have gel cell batteries for B/U power, these batteries to stay under 80 degrees- always.
If they get over 80 for extended periods, it reduces their effective life in half.
Also, if the batteries are discharging they will get warmer. In a hot enviroment they can go into thermal runaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back