Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PBX & Digital Phone Mix question

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmundym

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
CN
Hi:
Can a PBX be connected with digital phones made by a different manufacture? For example, Samsung PBX connected with Nortel digital phone units.

We are shopping for PBX and some reseller says it is ok but some reseller say it is better that PBX and internal phones be with one manufacture.

Please someone give me a neutral advice and thanks in advance

I'm not aware of ANY digital PBX phones being compatible with another vendor's PBX. Certainly not Avaya, Nortel, Rolm. -CL

As far as I know you can not mix and match appart from older models with newer ones .If its nortel it must be nortel same with all the vendors.

As far as I know, all PBX vendor is selling proprietary pbx and voice station.

If you are looking at PBX today, depends on the number of voice station, you may want to look into IP phone. IP phones should be interchangable with different vendors as long as they are H.323 compatible. I think!

If you do "mix 'n' match", I'd suggest you probably wouldn't get any of the features normally associated with a particular digital switch - all you'd get would be basic services.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Years ago in the key system world, TIE 612 sets and NORTHCOM 612 sets were interchangeable between their respective KSU's. I'm not aware today of any PBX's that can use other than their own proprietary sets and I wouldn't advise doing that if you find one that would. I feel you would be looking at a nightmare from a end-user and maintenance standpoint.
DueE

Nearly every major manufacturer makes ISDN stations that are purportedly standards based. Of course I have never seen anyone fork out the bucks for a Definity and try to use a Nortel ISDN telephone on it. Mainly because neither vendor would support the installation.

Not to mention the fact that the ISDN stations are more expensive than the proprietary digital stations.

If you are buying a PBX and want the features of the digital instruments, stick with the proprietary models. You'll be much happier in the long run.

mgs

No, the digital sets from one manufacturer will not work with those of another. The exception to that being that the same manufacturer made them (like the Tie/Northcom example above). As a personal note, I think that I would steer clear of the vendor that sait that it wouldn't matter, unless he could take you to a site that he had installed that would prove him right. The industry is slowly moving to open standards, but it will be a long time before they are openly embraced. Your primary concerns about your purchase should be not only up front price (assuming the features that you are looking for are met), but look to the cost of maintenance, upgrades and repairs. Some companies will low-ball a price looking forward to the MAC's (Moves/Additions/Changes). These companies will hit you with a 2.0 markup on all subsequent purchases. Buyer Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back