Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PBR for transparent proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
Hi All

Our branch offices have a combination of Juniper firewalls and Cisco layer 3 switches (either one or the other depending on types of WAN connections etc). I want to use policy based routing to route all HTTP & HTTPS traffic to a proxy server in our DC to effectively create a transparent proxy server rather than using client settings.

PBR on Juniper allows me to specify source & destination IP's as well as source and destination ports. Likewise, it allows me to "route" the traffic to a non-adjacent device ... ie, our proxy server across the WAN.

However, from reading the link below, it appears that on IOS, I can only use source & destination IP as the criteria, and I can only route to an adjacent device, similar to normal destination routing.

Can anybody advise me if IOS can provide the same granulatiry in it's PBR as Juniper can ? It seems pretty pointless having policy based routing based only on source and destination

Thanks in advance !

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

On the 3750, it should look something like:

sdm prefer routing
access-list 101 permit tcp any any eq www
route-map permit 10
match ip address 101
set ip next-hop 10.1.1.1
Int f1/0/1
ip policy route-map
Pretty sure you need IPservices running on your switch, too.

Thanks for the reply VinceWhirlwind ... I don't know why I didn't figure out that I could add port number to the access list :)

What about the routing to non-adjacent devices (such as proxy server in our data center). Is this not possible ? Unfortunately the routers closest to the proxy servers don't support PBR

Any suggestions at all ?

thanks again

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back