Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PB12.6 Error opening DLL library pbvm80.dll for external function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statey603

Programmer
Nov 10, 2009
US
We migrated our Windows application from PB 12.5 to PB12.6.
We recently encountered the following runtime error when a user presses CTRL-P.

Application terminated.
Error: Error opening DLL library pbvm80.dll for external function at line 29 in function of_printdlg of object pfc_n_cst_platformunicode.

We are not sure how long this has been an issue since not many users do this.
But we are concerned about an old DLL being referenced.
We bundle our windows application with the new PB12.6 DLLs, as listed using the Runtime Packager.
This includes pbvm126.dll which we thought would be a replacement for pbvm80.dll

It seems that the new PB12.6 Virtual Machine DLL does not include this pb80 functionality.
Has anyone else seen this or know of any way to fix it?
I tried putting pbvm80.dll on the machine, but am still getting the crash.

We have a work-around: Don't use CTRL-P to get screen prints, but are concerned that this got broken.

This is referencing the Powerbuilder foundation class framework (pfc). You could see if there is a replacement within the current PFC libraries (look on Codeplex since they are open source) or remove/change the functionality from your current code base.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

Matt,

Thank you for your reply.
We have decided that since this is our first and only known encounter with this that we will just instruct the users on Print Screen alternatives to CTRL-P.

Follow up:
I had assumed that we had the latest PFC when we upgrade/migrated to PowerBuilder 12.6.
Why isn't the latest PFC code included in new releases of PowerBuilder?
I have not encountered other development environments not including the latest libraries/code, at least their libraries.....
Is PFC not supported?

Thanks,
Bill

The PFC was open sourced by Sybase back in version 9 or 10 of PowerBuilder if I remember. Since then it is no longer distributed with PB.

I 'upgraded' the PFC used in an application (PB version 10 or 11) some ten years ago and there were only a few objects which were no longer supported. The process only took a day or two to do.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

Matt,
FYI: We just got bit by another pbvm80.dll external function reference resulting in an application termination.
I was hoping to try to integrate the latest PFC code into our application but some of my predecessors made changes to some of the PFC code many years ago, so I don't think it is worth the risk.
Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back