Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PB 12 .Net (Visual Studio) - Check Syntax

Status
Not open for further replies.

LenBinns

Programmer
May 5, 2010
US
I've just installed PB 12 and am trying to use the .Net (Visual Studio) IDE.

I can't see how to check the syntax of my code without doing a build. There is a "Check Syntax" menu option when I right click on my code, but it doesn't seem to do anything! I intentionally put a bogus line of code in my script, and I can save and close the window without any warning, and like I said "Check Syntax" doesn't do anything.

Also, the help files seem corrupt. See the following screenshot:

4582044104_ed6ce3f2ce.jpg

I know this thread is a little old but I'm having the same problem, has anyone come across this before?

Janeypie: I've posted this question to several forums. So far yours has been the only response!

Developers are a very helpful group of people, so I'm wondering if a lack of response to my question is an indication that nobody is using PowerBuilder 12 .Net - I know I've reverted to PB 12 Classic because I think the .Net version is unusable. I just can't imagine doing a build every time I want to check the syntax for a piece of code!

If you ever figure out a solution to this from another forum, please let me know.

Thanks,
Len

I have to admit, I've only been using pb12.net a day and it's already driving me mad!

I totally agree that to have to perform a build every time you want to check the syntax is insane... especially as I'm finding the build takes forever (forever to fail!)... in fact I'm finding teh whole of PB12.net very slow.

I've posted the question on sybase newsgroups so I'm hoping I'll hear something back... sounds like I shouldn't be holding my breath tho!

(I also don't seem to have any PB help files in my installation... very strange)

Hi,

Below is the reply I've received on the Sybase newsgroups from someone at sybase. My response to this nugget of information? I don't really see much point in trying to convert my system until 12.5!

Check syntax is not fully implemented in PowerBuilder 12.0. I think the menu option has been removed from 12.1 (due out next month).
Ultimately the goal is to have the script editor report errors real time without the need to do a Ctrl L. 12.1 should show a big improvement but I don't think it will be feature complete until 12.5.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back