Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PAYROLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvishal

MIS
Oct 9, 2001
US
I am looking for some details for capturing the information of the time spent by people in my organization.

The way it works is like this:

It’s a manufacturing company with people working in the production , warehouse and other facilities in shifts throughout the day. There are around 150-170 people in the factory.

As of now, we have a system where each shift supervisor records the time of all of its employees in spreadsheet. At the end of the week, the person handling the payroll takes the information from all these sheets and manually puts it in a Access database.

The process of manually entering the hours spent by each employee in the access database is tedious and time consuming. And the biggest drawback is the chance of error which is huge. Moreover, since this is a weekly activity, the process has to be repeated again and again.

Can anyone suggest what could be a better way of doing all this.

Also, is it possible that the information from the excel spreadsheet can be directly sent to the access database.

Suggestions for any other better way will be highly appreciated.

Create yourself a form on the Access database that is for Data Entry only. Give the sup's rights to ONLY the form. If they screw someone up, they email your guy and he makes the change. Otherwise, you'd have to give them "maintenance" rights also, and I prolly wouldn't.

Alternatively, he could have a macro that runs out and gets the data from these Excel spreadsheets and imports it into Access. Tell him to check out the Macros tab. I don't think it would require written code, just the built-in macros. He can sit down, run the macro, and go have breakfast...

Let me know if you need more help with it. Alternatively--there's an Access forum here, ya know?

Good luck whatever you do! techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

You can link the excel spread sheet directly into Access.
Go to the Database window. click on the tables tab. On the File menu choose get external data. Choose Link. In the drop down box at the bottom of the screen choose excel spread sheet types *.xls and point at the spread sheet. You can use the spread sheet just like a table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back