Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Payroll Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrteacher

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
What is the best way to combine either on one of the payroll sheets or a new one - total of 3 sheets (workbooks) when I have very little for commonality of fields using Excel 2003?

If there is no commonality between them, is the point to have the data in the same general viscinity?

Then, I suggest cut and paste into one.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Hi -

1) I have LNAME FNAME that MIGHT be the same.
2) I can pull out from within the two worksheets numbers that match so CCN = DOV -- but the problem is that these numbers are not exclusive to one employee.
3) I have a salary grade level that can equal a payrate in both worksheets.
4) In one worksheet I have an employee reference number - but nothing in the other.
5) I can MAKE AN ASSUMPTION and add the reference number based upon LNAME FNAME in other sheet - BUT I think this can be dangerous - because it would be manually added to a separate (3rd) worksheet. To me, this increases the error rate??

We cannot get the corporate company to supply us with more information in the download off of SAP. So I am really at a quandry here. ????

I have info coming from their SAP and info coming from our internal hiring data - as you can see - NEITHER are a guaranteed match... Not even the names will always match as I found in going through the data... example: SAP had "Andy" whereas ours had "Andrew" in the FNAME field - likewise "Kathy" vs. "Katherine".

Any thoughts are appreciated. I am not a novice but feeling this is getting above my general knowledge... :(

Steve

Clean up your data so that it WILL match.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Skip -

I am wondering how to really do this?

In the SAP database I have the following fields:
LNAME, FNAME, CONTROL COST#, PAYSCALE
Doe, John, C00567123, 2

In the Corp database I have the following:
LNAME, FNAME, DOV, SSN(last 4), JOB #, PAYRATE
Doe, Johnny, OPN123889567, 9876, R12345678, 9.25

1) I can make the CONTROL COST# = DOV by pulling out the matching numbers into two new fields.
2) I can make create a lookup table PAYTABLE where
SHIFT RATE
1 8.50
2 9.25
3 10.00
and use this information somehow...

BUT each week we get new worksheets - so I have to create some type of executable macros to do these...

So with the RAW data - right now it is taking over 36 hrs to process a payroll by hand... I KNOW there has to be a feasible way to do this faster - we are almost in the year 2007 now. :)

Steve

This is a CORPORATE DATA SCREWUP! To that extent, you are toast.

However, you may be able to salvage the process using CONTORL & DOV ...

IF, IF, IF...

CONTROL: C00567123
DOV: OPN123889567

Right(CONTROL, 3) = MID(DOV, 4,3) AND
MID(CONTROL, 4,3) = Right(DOV,3) AND
this ALWAYS defines a UNIQUE employee.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Skip,

You are exactly right about this mess.

The worst part is that one company will NOT release anymore information too willingly.

I am struggling w/ this one. I already was able to pull out the numbers within - except that more than 1 employee can have the same numbers.

Steve

Unfortunately, I have no solution to stupid & incompetent.

If you cannot get the correct data in order to perform your job and you have bubbled the problem UP in the management hierarchy, what does your manager have to say?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back