Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Paypal sandbox accounts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I am trying to set up some Paypal sandbox accounts but I am having trouble setting up the fictitious bank accounts. Their help files point at unavailable pages so I am stuck.

Has anyone one gone through this, according to their blurb - 'simple process'?

Keith

Yes 'been there done that' abandoned the use of sandbox altogether for the very reasons you state - Also when I've spoken to PayPal support about this and other matters I can barely understand the accents (deep south?) - Also there are more places in their 'simple guides' where links don't go where they should - I like PayPal, but it 'aint easy to setup on your web-site! - In the end I set up a fictitious item for £1 & tested the shopping cart by buying it myself - must remember to charge that £1 to my client! [dazed]

I've just done it actually. But I was amazed at how clunky their documentation is.

I managed to set up sandbox accounts. What's the problem?

One thing I found was that to use the sandbox accounts on your site you need to be logged in to the sandbox itself.
Not much use really if you need a client to test it.

What is your specific problem.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

My real problem is that I lack patience when something as 'clunky', (like your word for it), as this comes my way - I completed my site without the aid of the sandbox 'cos I couldn't be bothered to try and get it working - I think that they 'improve' the functionality of their software, but don't keep the manuals up-to-date - (I guess no-one owns the problem!) - Shame really as a basically good product gets bad press through lack of care!
[noevil]

It's only difficult to work out where you are supposed to fill in what!

Actual use of the sandbox is pretty simple.

First, create a developer account by visiting

Then log in at using those account details.

Don't confuse this developer account with your Sandbox test accounts

Once logged in to the developer site you can create test accounts. The accounts can either be buyers or sellers.

For the site I am working on, I set up two accounts:

A Seller (which was the ID I used when sending my cart data to PayPal)

A Buyer account, which I can use to test making payments with a PayPal account

You can log in to using these accounts and they behave exactly as a 'normal' account would.

When you create these test accounts Paypal will generate fake Credit card numbers and address details for you.

Now, where I got stuck was in testing credit card payments.
If you try and use a test account, or a card number from a test account, then you are told that you have to log in using the test account details.

What you need to do is generate a new, fake card.
Do this by logging in to a test account. Go to Profile, then click 'add card'. The system will generate a fake card number etc for you. Don't save it, just write the card details down.

You can then use this card info to test credit card (i.e. Non-Paypal account) purchases.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

I managed to get the sandbox account working but I too was confused by the need to log in to the test environment. It is ok when I, as a developer am testing it but when the client wants to have a go at his soon to be released website it is not realistic to give him my log in details. Surely a single test payment account number would be ok for all websites as the script contains unique vars to ID the individual account.
The example scripts they supply are quite complicated and full of security issues. Once I got the functionality working I re-wrote the scripts to plug the security holes.

Keith

I have spasms when I imagine I have to set up another Paypal compliant site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back