Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pause after login

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlingg

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
CA
Hello:

I just upgraded a WinXP Home to Pro machine without too many problems. One thing that I have noticed however is that after logging in, having the startup music start and the desktop (minus the icons) display the system appears to just sit there for some time before going any further. The drive activity light stops, etc.

The odd thing is that if I press the Enter key, the system continues immediately and the desktop icons appear, etc.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Marty

Strange to say the least. My first guess was it was some kind of hidden window waiting for a reply from you, but it is more than likely just some corruption in the system.

What happens if you don't press the "Enter" key, or if you hit any other key?

Are there any errors, warnings or other information reported in the Event Viewer or the Set Up logs in the Windows folder?

Some general things to try.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back