Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pathnames

Status
Not open for further replies.

alice20

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Hi,
I'm a new member and really need help with this.

I am making a CD rom and need to have links to webpages, these that will be saved in a folder on the CD Rom (so they open in a browser but don't open the internet). I am having trouble with the pathname when calling them up because the cd drive it isn't always the same for everyone's computer, ie, it's S on mine and may be E on someone elses.

I need to know what the route would be to the actual CD so they can be found on anyone's computer.

Does that make sense?

Thankyou very much, I'd be so so grateful ....

Emily

No problem...

just use relative paths; if you have your projector in a directory named "work" for exaple and your web pages are in another directory INSIDE "work", let´s say "pages".

then tour path will be:
\pages\archive.htm (or whatever name your file is) be sure to initiate the line with the backslash, this is what tell the program to look only below the current hierarchy.

(in mac substitute the \ with :)
:pages:archive.htm

THEN when crating you CD be sure to put everything inside the directory "work" in the root directory of your cd, this way you ensures thet the hierarchy is the same in both your original files and the CD.

From then onit won´t matter the unit you are in, the program will search only inside the especified path.

ciao!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back