Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pathfinder converts to grayscale

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMcDowell

Technical User
Sep 8, 2009
CA
Whenever I use a pathfinder function on black or white CYMK objects CS3 converts them to greyscale. I would like to keep them in the CYMK they started out in. Makes it more difficult in the printing program I export to. Does anyone know of a setting to stop this conversion?
Thanks, Peter.

...are you using global color swatches on the objects before you use pathfinder?

...either way, it sounds odd behaviour to me...have a look into resetting illustrator preferences when illustrator behaves oddly:

Andrew
==============
- Graphic Design and Web Design, Exeter, Devon, UK.
==============

It's just regular black or white filled objects, no swatches. If I use the pathfinder tools on, for example red objects, 100%M, 100%Y it leaves the result in CYMK. Thanks, I will try what you suggest. Peter.

...which pathfinder functions are you using?

In CS5 it does convert to a "K" on some functions...but either way it is still black as far as CMYK is concerned...

...stick to global colors if it is causing trouble in your workflow.

Andrew
==============
==============

...personally i think the default swatches should be global colors anyway...you could always set up your own default swatches to all be global colors.

Andrew
==============
==============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back