Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Path to VLAN goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablonhd

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2010
CA
Hello All,

Starting a new job and just inherited a network that needs some serious attention. Where to start.

Here is a brief overview. I have three buildings that have three separate networks that have had various levels of IT support and use various technologies. I want to connect them eventually with some form of LAN service.

All three sites have one subnet for all IP devices. My plan in general terms from a networking point of view is to do the following.

1 - Introduce layer-3 switching
2 - Build out vlan structure at each site
3 - Connect the sites with a LAN service

Easier said than done.

The network equipment in each site varies between cisco and DLink, some Netgear (all are managed switches).

My big question up front is if I introduce a CISCO layer 3 switch into a site with DLink DGS-1210-48 switches will they play nice with the CISCO layer-3 trying to introduce VLANs

I am not able to gut the network and start over again so I have to work with what I have now and phase out over time.

Should be fine.

Make sure you have a consistent spanning-tree across all the networks.

The DLink switches, if they are managed, should allow you to tag VLANs.
Initially, you might want to patch your DLinks into the Cisco switch, and make the ports in the Cisco into access ports in the VLAN you intend for the hosts that are on the DLink. The DLinks are all still on VLAN1, but the Cisco knows their subnet as the VLAN 30 subnet, (for example) and can be made the router for them.
After that you can devise a plan to either replace or reconfigure the DLinks so they are serving up the correct VLANs.

But first of all, you need a comprehensive detailed design that maps out your intended long-term goal. Then every times you get the opportunity to make a change or spend some money, use it to take a step towards your final goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back