Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Path structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jen0dorf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2008
GB
Hi

a silly question but I use a nix/apache server to host a webs site and need to setuip .htaccess.

I've done this via my CP and alls well.

I need to add some users via ssh.

I'm trying two programs

putty which with the settings I have drops me straight into the "dos windoW" and an ls command etc takes me straight to the directory with the .htpassword file in but I seem unable to edit the file .

I then tried data freeway which promised a windows GUI but when it connects I see directories such as boot,bin,syus,root,sbin,proc,misc etc I see no HTdocs

can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

thanks

Ian

Hi

Ian said:
but I seem unable to edit the file
Define "unable". What are you doing exactly ? What feedback you get ?

Beside that, the output of [tt]whoami[/tt], [tt]ls -l .htpassword[/tt], [tt]ls -ld[/tt] and maybe [tt]pwd[/tt] could help locating the issue.

Feherke.

Hi

thanks for the assist at the moment I'm "talking" to the hosting company who are looking into the fact that apparently I'm logging into an area I'm not supposed to have access to

cheers

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back