Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Patch questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwall7

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2001
US
I inherited 4 Sun boxes and have never installed a patch. Two are development/QA boxes with 5.6 and two are production boxes with 5.8

"uname" shows:

SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-05
SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-07

I went to SunSolve and found want I think are the latest patch-id#'s

for 5.6 105181-30
for 5.8 108528-12

Q: Do I have to install all the patches since the current installed version or does the latest version incorporate all earlier patches?

Q: One of the patches warns about installing if the box has "OEM-specific platform ports" - what is OEM - is it Oracle Enterprize Manager?

Q: What are some of the problems that I might not be aware of installing patches - since I have never done one?

Q: Where is the best place to find information (for a newbie) on the step by step patch installing?

Thanks in advance,
Think twice, hit enter once
Robert

the lastest patch is cumulative.

there are Sun Clones, they use Solaris with OEM-specific platform ports, OEM is Origonal Equipment Manufacturers I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back