Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

patch panel rear renumbering 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrequest

MIS
Jul 12, 2007
US
I'm looking for a good/standard way of labeling the _rear_ of a 110 patch panel. In this case several Hubbell P6E48U. They come preprinted 1-48. On my second panel I used a labeler to renumber the front 49-96 and so on. I'm going to punch down jacks at the user side first, and start the numbering there. When it comes to punching down cables in the patch panel, I want to make things as easy as possible, by renumbering the rear to match the front. I suppose I could add 48 in my head, but that's prone to error. A labeler seems bad because it will cover the color codes. I didn't see a 49-96 prenumbered cardstock I could slip in. Ideas? Sharpie?

Instead of using 49-96 and so on, label each panel indiviually with a letter. The first panel would be A-1 through A-48. The second panel will be B-1 through B-48 and so on. you will then be able to label the entire panel keeping your numbering scheme simple. at the jack end match the label to the port. Panel A Port 1 or just A-1. If multiple closets give the closet a letter as well. Document your numbering scheme for future techs to be able to follow.

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Sir Winston Churchill

Nope, numbering the panels with letters along with numbers is the easiest way to confuse the users. The patch panel at the top starts at 1 and goes to 48, the next patch panel down starts with 49 and goes to 96, then 97 through 144, and so on. Every jack has a unique number, every patch panel port has a unique number.

Just use a sharpie to renumber the punchdowns on the back, as you'll never see them again once the cables are punched down and covering them.

You might want to check with the manufacturer of the patch panel. Some of them may make a replacement designation strip or card for the rear of the panel with the correct numbering. I know ICC has them for the front, and I have complained to them about making them for the rear of the patch panels, but nothing to date.

....JIM....

I like using letters, start at the top. the difficulty with numbering straight thu is when the labeling gets obscured or comes off. "ok so pair 413 is which panel?" Also most panels are marked on the front 1-48 already.

I used to number straight through until i had a building with 746 cables in it. with 12 ports per double gang faceplates. Lettering also serves as a break in the numbers so users can tell when the first number ends and the second number begins. In my opinion,adding a letter to a numbering scheme when done properly is effective and accurate. You will also use less label tape B-)

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Sir Winston Churchill

Please send me an email if you're using any of the popular Leviton patch panels; I'll send you either a Powerpoint or Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that you can quickly modify for labeling such things.

My habits are to buy full sheets of 3M "stickyback" paper so that I can make custom labels for almost anything. Although I have a Dymo Rhino Pro 2000 for labeling most things, sometimes nothing beats a computer for color, typefaces, logos and other personal touches.

Tim Alberstein

Using letters is a great idea. But we use a simple way of identifying ports.

PP1P1 Thru PP1P48 (Patch Panel 1 Port 1) and than we go to PP2P1 Thru PP2P48.

On the Face plate end we label by Patch Panel and Port #.
On the closet end we just label the patch panel in number order.

We try and use the "Keep it simple stupid" rule.

I hope this helps you out.

Jeff, I used to use 606A when I ran cabling, great system for the campus environment I was in with runs that crossed between floors due to varied construction over 100 year period. Made it very easy to find both ends of a cable. Then I got a desk job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back