Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

patch panel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

techhus

Technical User
May 11, 2003
AE
we have one patch with 24 ports. we have 24 connections in the building(wall connection) that lead back to the patch panel. The patch panel in turn has 24 connection to a 24 port 10/100 switch. Our network is expanding (we need more then 24 wall connection).
computer---->wall--->patch panel--->switch

I was thinking of getting a new patch panel and switch.
new computers-->new wall connection-->new patch panel-->new switch-->old switch--->old patch panel.

Will this work? Or am I going about this wrong. If you guys got a better solution, please share it before I make a expense mistake and it does not work.

Thanks
Techhus

Good Plan, you will need to do a crossover between the switches; either with a crossover cable or a straight through cable in an uplink port.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Also a good time to look ahead on any future expansion, and say, if you need 48 now, maybe go ahead and put in 64 or more, will save alot of time later!

My frames started out with a 12 port, now Im over 96 and still growing....and my supers wont let me take out the old stuff and put it all the same.....makes for a mess and confusion!

If I had my choices, I would use the rack mounted patch panels, with the nice cable covers on the sides...

Siemons and others have some really great stuff to make things easy and look great!

Organization is the key to any of this!

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back