Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Patch needed for Intel Core 2-based CPUs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcferrin

MIS
Jul 14, 2003
US
For everyone using CPUs based on the Intel Core 2 architecture, it looks like there is a bug or flaw in the CPU that can cause system problems (BSOD, kernel panic, etc). The bug affects:

Xeon Dual Core 3000 and 5100 series CPUs
Xeon Quad Core 3200 and 5300 series CPUs
Core 2 Duo E4000 and E6000 series CPUs
Core 2 Extreme X6800 and QX6700 series CPUs
Core 2 Duo Mobile T5000 and T7000 series CPUs

If you are running a version of Windows XP, Server 2003, or Vista, you can download a microcode patch from Microsoft to fix the issue. If you are running a non-Windows OS you will need to get a BIOS update from your computer manufacturer.

The Microsoft patch is available here:

On the upside, you won't have to replace your CPU like you did back in the days of the Pentium FDIV bug. On the downside, it's another black eye for Intel.

Thanx for the info...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks for the info, but ... where did you hear about this? I've been running an E6600 system since they came out and I haven't had any BSODs or kernel panics despite using it for a huge variety of tasks - video transcoding, games, running virtual machines, software development etc.

Regards

Nelviticus

Lenovo (IBM) and HP both have released a BIOS fix for the Core 2 Duo. IBM's description is non-specific while HP describes a TLB invalidation issue. I don't know if these patches are related to Microsoft's patch or not as Microsoft details of their patch are also non-specific.

Lenovo:

HP:

I should add that both IBM and HP preface their patches with "Intel has released a new microcode update ..." so while these patches are for specific models of a PC, the patch in general is for the Core 2 Duo.

Aha. The HP link says that the error is extremely rare and they've only ever encountered it in a rigorous testbed situation, which would explain why I've never seen it. I'll apply the patch anyway though and see whether there's a BIOS update available for my mobo.

Regards

Nelviticus

The microcode patches are usually not documented to the users and usually come to the BIOS manufacturers as an executable that has to be included in a new BIOS release, or to operating system vendors. The fixes may cover issues that far exceed those that are listed, because of all teh different peripherals that attach to PCs. When you are aware of the availability of one of these patches it is a good thing to see if your system can be easily updated.

Interesting to know, im not running that but I did come across an error due to my intel pentium 4 with hyperthreading on a game. Figured this might be somewhat related as I was puzzled when it first happened.

When I went to play thief deadly shadows, it would automatically go into its demo/video mode and would not escape out of it. I could not minimize the game either as it would bring itself back up. I could only exit.

Researched some information on it and discovered it was caused by dual core processors or ones with hyperthreading. Disabled hyperthreading in bios and it stopped the problem. Anyway thought this was kind of related so I added it on here. Hope you dont mind.

Not sure what causes it but disabling that fixed it.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

How was Deadly Shadows? I played the original Dark Project through several times because it was so engrossing, but never got around to any of the sequels.

I actually never played the first thief, only thief 2 and 3. Deadly Shadows was really good. The only problem I had with the game minus a couple of glitches, was that it seemed too short. Took me about 2 weeks to beat it. It is a very good game though, keeps you interested all the way through lol.

They kept the original voices on there. Same guy doing voice of garret, and of course the same voice with the drunk guard.

lol Now im just ready for when they decide to make Thief 4.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Regardless of a BIOS microcode patch, to whoever I know who talks to me about a problem with a hyperthreaded Pentium, the problem disappears when the hyperthreading is turned off. I am surprised that there are still systems with this processor that are sold in stores.

Well thats the first time ive ever ran into a problem with hyperthreading. Although honestly , disabled or enabled, I dont see much difference in performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back