Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

patch level checking utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb42

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a utility (doesn't matter whether it's free or not) that can reliably check the security patch level of an AIX server. I'm looking to scan my servers to determine if I'm missing any security patches/fixes.

Thanks

pb42

hi ,

I don't think there is a tool out there that does this however you can from th eIBM site subscribe to their mailing listing regarding fixes for the OS release selected.
So whenever there is a release you have to read the mail and look at whether the fix is required on your system.

The other things is as the saying goes , ' if it ain't broke
don't fix it ' BUT if the release of OS you are running will become obsolete then you'll have to update your server.

Also you need to establish whether your system needs the fix or not , whether you are experiencing problems because the fix can do more harm than good .

You can run lppchk -v to check for broken filesets and fix these

HTH

hi,

how DSMARWAY said, does not exists a tool to know
if ALL is installed as patch on your system.

However you can know whic is the "Maintenance level"
of your system entering

instfix -i | grep AIX

To know if a specific fix is installed (you can find
noted on some security site)

instfix -i -k fixnumber

If the system answers you
Not all filesets for XXXXX were found enter

instfix -i -k fixnumber -c |grep ":-:"

bye

I've never tried it, but you could head towards the IBM alphaWorks sute and try the Fix Automation Service
tool. It currently only supports AIX v4.3, but I'm sure a version for v5.x will be out shortly. You
can find it at
I'm developing my own 'open standards' version of this tool which I'll be making available shortly.
Watch this space, as I'll post for testers.

Without any beta code, IBM's subscription mail services are still the best method.

ITS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back