Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pasting picture in form record / drawing capabilitys

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessDevJunior

Programmer
Apr 14, 2004
GB
hya,

i am wanting to create a database where users are able to take a screen dump of a map in another program and paste it into a record.
Also if possible to draw on the picture by inserting lines and rectangles etc.

you can do this in design view easily but you cannot save a from in design view as a record.

If anyone could help me with any part of this i would really appreciate it.

Ive found out how to insert the picture into a record, but i cannot figure out how to insert a line, rectangle etc

Hi AccessDevJunior,
Why don't you try using the 'edit' option after you insert the picture? It opens the paint brush so you can enter many lines and rectangles as you like

AccessDevJunior

In my opinion, Access is not real good at storing image files and such. It can store the images, but the database will grow in size. At some point, you possibly compromise the integrity of the database by inserting images.

Consider the following workaround.

Keep your database structure similar to what you have but instead of inserting images, use hyperlinks to point to the image and use the application / applications that are much better geared for graphics.

This apporach works like a charm, and will keep the size of your database down ... and ... it you allows you to keep the master document in a centralized secure area (in case you use AutoCAD or other applications and require one master document). I suspect you also know that hyperlinks can use book marks, and link to web sites as well as documents.

Richard

Hi willir,
If you're storing only the link and not the object itself, there is a risk that someone will move the the file and then you will have a broken link

Gwena

You are correct -- moving a document will result in a broken link -- but that is where you use Controlled Documents or Change Management procedures.

Storing documents inside a database may result in excessive bloat.

But to each their own...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back