Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

paste colour on to B&W photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

loganswell

Programmer
Dec 28, 2000
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to paste a colour cut-out as a new layer on to an image that I have made B&W. Trouble is, my colour cut-out changes to B&W too, despite the fact it's a new layer! This is frustrating me.

Suppose you have a colour photo of a child holding a bright red rose and the end result you want is for the whole picture to be B&W except the red rose. That is what I'm trying to achieve. I feel certain that it will be possible and that I'm just going about it the wrong way.

I'm cutting out the rose with smart edge select and saving it to the clip board then clicking greyscale then pasting my rose back in on top as a new layer - but like I said - it goes to grey too!

Thanks to anyone who can help. :eek:)

Don't click greyscale. Also, make sure the B&W image is set for 16 million colors.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

I must click greyscale to make my colour picture into B&W (unless there is another way).

I did try re-scanning and telling the twain s/w to scan as B&W but it didn't work that way either.

Maybe I didn't understand you...

This is a two step, two image, process. Make your first image greyscale and make sure you have rasterized the image. Also, make sure this image is set for 16 million colors. Then, open your color image so you have both images showing on the screen. In your color image, cut-out the area you want to paste into the B&W image. This would probably best be done with the lasso tool or maybe the magic wand. Once the color area is selected (make sure the feathering is set to 0), copy this selected area. Now, click on the B&W image and paste the color image onto it. If it changes to greyscale, then you haven't set the first image to 16 million colors.

Move your color image where you want it, merge the layers Iif needed), and save as normal.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Hmmm... here's an easier way to do it (in PSP7, 8 will be similar):
[ol]
[li]Make a selection around your rose.[/li]
[li]Select "Selections > Invert" from the menu to select the rest of the image.[/li]
[li]Select "Colours > Adjust > Hue/Saturation/Lightness" from the menu.[/li]
[li]Set the Saturation slider to -100, leaving the other two at 0. Click OK.[/li]
[/ol]
This will desaturate the rest of the image to greyscale.

Alternatively, you could duplicate the background layer, desaturate this new top layer, then use the eraser brush to erase the black & white layer and let the colour layer show through. Set the eraser's opacity and hardness low and you should be able to get quite a subtle effect.

Plenty of ways to skin this particular cat!

-- Chris Hunt

I got this eventually. I was nearly doing it right. I had cut out the rose but I hadn't saved the greyscale image as 16 million colors. That was the only problem. Once I did this is was easy! Thanks for your help anyway! :eek:)

this is even easier, make a copy of the colour photo and change the copy to black and white, then place this B&w copy over the original colour photo as a new layer. then get your eraser tool and just erase on the b/w image what you want to see poking through from the colour image undernreath then merge. voila colour object in b&w image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back