Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

passwords won't change

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomtech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
CA
When trying to change or set a password on any user account
I get the message "Windows can't complete the password change because: The password does not meet password policy requirements. This just started happening recently. I checked my security policy and my passwords are within policy? Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

sounds like either minimum password length or compexity was turned on recently. you haven't made any Group Policy changes? how many policies do you use (e.g. domain, site, OU, local....)? Somewhere in there, one of these items has to be turned on...

Also check with any other admin. Someone might have changed the password policy higher up the heirarchy and clicked a NO OVERRIDE option so that your policy doesn't do anything.
Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

I had the very same thing happen to me and I found out that it was the password complexity. Try to enter a password with at least one number or symbol, one or more letters in upper case then the rest lowercase. For example, 123TOPin, also make sure that the password length is the same as the account policy describes, for example 8 character's is a good start.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back